Installing RemoteBox on Windows
Based on documentation by Michael Curtis.
These instructions describe installing the RemoteBox client and may require administrator privileges. VirtualBox must also be configured to accept connections from RemoteBox.
For instructions, consult the RemoteBox manual. As RemoteBox was developed to run on Linux and UNIX-like operating systems, installation on Windows can be somewhat complicated, but is perfectly possible.
- Download the 32bit version of Strawberry Perl, even if you have a 64bit edition of Windows.
- Run the Strawberry Perl installer, follow the instructions and install it to the following location:
- Configure Strawberry Perl to use the Sisyphusion Perl Repository and install additional modules. In order to do this, you need to open a 'DOS' style command prompt by running cmd.exe (consult google if you don't know how to do this). Run the following commands in the commmand prompt:
ppm set repository sisyphusion http://sisyphusion.tk/ppm
ppm set save
ppm install Cairo Pango Gtk2 Glib
- Download the latest RemoteBox-x.y.tar.gz file from the RemoteBox website and unpack the archive using you're favourite tool such as WinZIP, WinRAR, 7Zip etc.
- For simplicity, rename the unpacked folder from RemoteBox-x.y to just RemoteBox and copy that folder to the following location:
C:\Program Files (x86)
- To create an icon for RemoteBox, navigate to the following folder in Windows Explorer
- Select the file called wperl.exe, press the right mouse button and choose 'Create Shortcut'.
- Rename the newly created shortcut to simply RemoteBox
- Select the shortcut, press the right mouse button and choose 'Properties'
- Change the target field to say:
C:\Strawberry\perl\bin\wperl.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\RemoteBox\remotebox"
(include the quotes “)
- This shortcut should now launch RemoteBox when you double-click on it. The shortcut can be moved or copied to a preferred location, such as your desktop.
- If you want a RemoteBox Windows Icon, you can download one here: remotebox.ico (Right-Click -> Save-As)